Friday 1 June 2007

Welcome.

Hallo and welcome to the UEA Conservative society’s collective blog. This blog is still a work in process so please bear with us, it is more than possible the format will change, and it will take time to get the solid core of regular contributors set up, so it is likely that the majority of posts at the moment will be by me. As this is the first post it makes sense to talk a bit about the society, myself, and what this blog aims to do.

The UEA Conservatives is one of the University of East Anglia’s largest political societies and the largest of those affiliated with a mainstream party. Founded nearly 25 years ago on October by the well known blogger Ian Dale, it has continued to grow. With just over a hundred members, we are actively involved in local politics and organise a wide range of events for our membership. In addition every member receives free membership of Norwich South Conservatives, our local area association, with whom we have a close relationship.

On a brief ego boosting detour we turn to me. I was elected president of UEA Tories about a month ago by a large margin, and hope to make the society more sociable and active than ever before. Coming originally from rural Essex, (the Maldon region) I came to UEA to study History and am now finishing my first year. Politically I like to consider myself to be moderate One Nation Conservative with libertarian tendencies. Though that may just be a cunning subconscious plan which will allow me to condemn anyone I disagree with as being “Extreme.”

This blog is intended to open to all members to contribute either by directly posting stuff or just commenting on posts. Anyone who writes is welcome is disagree with any of the opinions expressed, hopefully all the views within the party can be expressed and debated over in a positive way. Likewise outside readers are also more than welcome to post comments and become involved in debates etc. Any topic within reason is open to debate and I certainly will not restrict myself to posting on just Conservative or National politics.

I will be posting something more interesting in a little while.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck - i'll be reading with interest!